The Smith Family Newsletter

"The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place, nor fulfill its essential functions." - David O. McKay

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Father's Day

Dear Family:

Last Sunday was your mother's first in the Nursery, her new Church calling. Part way through the 2-hour assignment I stopped by to see how she was doing. Not surprisingly, she was sitting on the floor playing with all the little cuties and she had a big smile on her face. It was also fun to see that she had a pair of identical and adorable twin girls in her class.

Later that afternoon when I returned from my meeting with a mission president and several stake presidents (called a Coordinating Council), your mother and I talked about some of the changes and improvements she had in mind for the Nursery. It was very obvious that the bishopric called the right person for the job. However, as you all probably recognize, she's obviously the right person for many jobs.

When I served as stake president, my counselors and I regularly discussed critical callings and assignments. Frequently, one of my counselors would say, "President, Julie would be great for that role but we'll have to release you first." Naturally, I'd agree with the concept. But none of us thought the Brethren would agree at that particular time, so we'd call someone else. She's an exceptionally faithful and talented woman (as the Sage board members reminded me again and again at our barbecue last Saturday night).

President J. Reuben Clark, a long-time member of the First Presidency, taught an important lesson: "In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve, but how. In The Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints, one takes the place to which one is duly called, which place one neither seeks nor declines." Your mother's a great example of putting that inspired counsel into practice.

So for Fathers Day, I wanted to reaffirm to you that I love your mother very much. Because I've heard that one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother, I hope you feel that I've done that and am doing that successfully.

I'm extraordinarily grateful that I was led to her (and, by extension, to each of you) by the spirit of the 13th Article of Faith;."If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." She's my best, my favorite and my eternal friend, and the heart of our family.

Love, Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home