The Smith Family Newsletter

"The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place, nor fulfill its essential functions." - David O. McKay

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Elise's Highlights...

I don’t think I would be a happy person without the moments that I have everyday to reflect on life, and to really try and sit back and appreciate all of God’s creations. For me, that time of day is the best part of my day, and it happens while I’m running. This New Year has provided me with a lot of opportunities to reflect and explore, in particular because in the past three months I’ve been in San Francisco, New York City, Washington, D.C., Boston, Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Diego, Pismo Beach, Montreal, Cleveland, and a dinky little down called Storrs-Mansfield, Connecticut.

Most recently, in Montreal, I ran up part of Mont Royale, so that I could see the beautiful vistas of the city in the early hours of the morning. As I ran, I reflected on how much my shin splints hurt, and how lucky I was to get to explore the city before anyone else was awake. I ran down the streets of St. Catherine’s shopping district that were virtually empty of any semblance of tourists. Later on that day as I walked back along the street, barely able to move, I appreciated the moment that I had, had to have that street all to myself for a brief time.



In Boston, my runs took me across The Charles and down to Harvard Square, where I felt the weight of history and scholarship that resounded from the Harvard Library walls. It also gave me time to enjoy the bitter New England cold weather (I was wearing four layers and was still cold) and realize that California hasn’t made me as soft as I thought it had.

In Baltimore I ran along the waterfront through cobblestone streets and forcing myself to get a hill workout by running up to the very top of the fort that overlooks the city. From that vantage point I felt very small, but strong, as I was able to once again enjoy the city before anyone else had for the day.

Even in Los Angeles, as I run up to the top of “my killer hill” that overlooks Santa Monica, the Pacific Ocean, and the Hollywood sign, and as I run alongside bumper-to-bumper traffic, I am still able to get that peace and quiet time.



I think everyone needs to find a moment everyday to reflect, be thankful, and realize how small we are in such a great an amazing world. I don’t know what I would do without it, because it’s the best part of my day.







Some fun highlights from the past few weeks for me have included:
1) Visiting Kristina and Kevin in Santa Clara
2) Attending SAGE's biggest national conference in San Francisco (AERA)
3) Having my friends Heather and Corene be my first overnight visitors to my apartment in L.A.
4) Going to Huntington Library and Gardens in Pasadena to see the Gutenberg Bible and other important publishing momentos.
5) Riding the Ferris Wheel at the Santa Monica Pier during a full moon.
6) Getting to see Ken Starr and Ricky Schroeder in the same night.
7) Learning the "real" story behind Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' marriage :)
8) Eating dinner at a fabulous Greek restaurant in Malibu right by the ocean.

I hope you all have a great week!!
Elise

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim and Julie said...

Elise, I'd like to trade places with you this next week!! You are having too much fun. After reading your e-mail I realized how much I love my run as well. Thanks for reminding me. I especially like to run with my daughters. Our runs have been such great momnets in my life and I hope we will continue to run together for at least another twenty years!!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home