The Smith Family Newsletter

"The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place, nor fulfill its essential functions." - David O. McKay

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Full Weekend

Well…I know I have been a slacker in posting so in order to encourage everyone to keep up the blog posts, I’ve decided to add some new highlights from my weekend…

Since it was my friend Andrew’s birthday last week, we celebrated over the weekend with karaoke and cake. Since there were like 20 of us crammed into a small karaoke room, I only sang a few songs (including “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”) and then we headed back to my soon-to-be new apartment (with Kirsten and Broek) for cake and ice cream. I made my checkerboard cake at Andrew’s request and despite some frosting issues (the top layer of the cake started sliding off) it ended up tasting pretty good despite its less-than-perfect appearance.

Saturday I spent a full day at Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert with my friend Bryan. I tagged along with him bright and early for the base’s annual open house and air show.
















We got some amazing pics, and I’ll post more of them later once he sends them along. Some of the airplanes we saw were the F-22A Raptor, F-15, F-18, P-51 Mustang, Stealth, B-52 Bomber, Mig-17, F-16, etc.

My favorite part was watching the Thunderbirds air show at the very end as they zoomed past each other, almost hitting, and making intricate patterns in the sky. I also got to see several of the planes on display up close. Despite not being an airplane aficionado, I definitely learned to appreciate how difficult it is to fly and maneuver those planes. It was an all around pretty cool day. Since I had been up since before the sun, it was also a pretty long day.

Saturday night was the Ward Halloween Party and I went dressed in my poodle skirt and 50s girl costume. People went ALL out for the party and it was quite entertaining. There was someone painted all green as The Hulk, several pirates, Pocahontas, Little Red Riding Hood, a Geisha, Slash, etc. You name it, there was someone dressed the part. Afterwards a big group of us went to a diner down in Santa Monica (Swingers) for some after-party fun…I finally got dropped me off at 1am (which was actually 2am with daylight savings). Luckily, church wasn’t until 2pm so I could sleep in!!

Overall it was a fun weekend…and I’m excited for this week because the American Society of Criminology’s annual conference is in Los Angeles so I’ll be hanging out with all of my favorite authors in a few days.

ALSO, I just found out that I’m going to get to come out to New York in mid-February (24-27th) for the AACTE (American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education) conference. I’ll be staying in midtown at either the Sheraton or Hilton. AND I get to go to the American Educational Research Association’s annual conference in Chicago in April. So, it’ll be another full winter of conference travel. Whoo hoo!! I also get to go to Seattle in March probably for The American Criminal Justice Sciences's conference and possibly to Oakland, CA in March for the Pacific Sociology Association's meeting, Detroit in March for the American Counseling Association's annual meeting, and maybe Philadelphia in March for the Eastern Sociology Society's annual meeting...unless the conferences overlap too much. I’ll keep you posted….

I hope everyone has a great week!!

Luv,
Elise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home